Jigsaw Privacy FAQs
- What do the Jigsaw legal docs say, in a nutshell?
- What information is on Jigsaw?
- Who puts information in the Jigsaw Directory?
- What right does Jigsaw have to sell my information?
- What are "preferences and instructions"?
- Why does Jigsaw protect the identity of Jigsaw Members?
- Am I in Jigsaw?
- How do I remove myself from the Jigsaw Directory?
Though you should definitely read the documents (if you haven't already), here is a high-level summary of what they say:
The TOU is an agreement between you and Jigsaw, laying out the rules of using Jigsaw's Website and accessing the Directory. Among other things, the TOU specifies Jigsaw Members may input and extract information from the Directory. The Jigsaw Member and Web Site Visitor Privacy Statement (see below) is incorporated into the TOU.
To read the TOU in its entirety, click here.
Jigsaw Member and Web Site Visitor Privacy Statement
The Jigsaw Member and Web Site Visitor Privacy Statement describes how we collect and handle information about individuals who sign up for Jigsaw’s services and individuals who visit Jigsaw’s Web site. Among other things, the Jigsaw Member and Web Site Visitor Privacy Statement explains:
- Like most website operators, Jigsaw automatically gathers visitor "traffic" information, such as IP addresses and types of web browsers accessing the Jigsaw Website. On its own, this data is anonymous and does not personally identify you.
- If you choose to become a Jigsaw Member, we will collect certain identifying information about you during registration. However, we do not automatically add any of this registration information to the Jigsaw Directory.
- We do not use or share your personal information, other than as described in the Jigsaw Member and Web Site Visitor Privacy Statement. For example, we may provide such information to our service providers, who help keep Jigsaw great with technical, administrative, and data processing tasks. We may also disclose such information as required by law.
- We secure the information we collect by using generally accepted industry standards.
To read the Jigsaw Member and Web Site Visitor Privacy Statement in its entirety, click here.
Jigsaw Business Contact Privacy Statement
The Jigsaw Directory contains business data from a variety of sources. To explain how we collect and manage Jigsaw Directory information about business professionals, we have created the Jigsaw Business Contact Privacy Statement. As further detailed in the Jigsaw Business Contact Privacy Statement:
- Jigsaw makes the following types of Business Contact Information available to our Members through the Jigsaw Directory: (1) Name, (2) Company, (3) Title, (4) Business Mailing Address, (5) Business Telephone Number, and (6) Business Email Address. We do not allow personal email addresses or any mobile telephone numbers on our Directory.
- Most Jigsaw Directory information comes from our Members. However, Individuals may add themselves to our Directory, and Jigsaw may, from time to time, supplement the Directory, e.g., with publicly available information or with information from trusted data providers who are legally authorized to provide such data.
- It's Jigsaw's policy to advise people they're in our Directory via our "Notice and Opt Out Program." If you receive an e-mail notice from us indicating that your Business Contact Information has been added to the Jigsaw Directory, and you decide you don't want to receive further communications, including communications from Jigsaw partners and paying third parties, follow the link to remove yourself from the Jigsaw Directory.
- Likewise, individuals can check to see if they are listed in the Jigsaw Directory (without becoming a Member or being automatically added to the Jigsaw Directory), by simply using the "Are You In Jigsaw" link. Once there, individuals can correct their contact information or remove themselves entirely from the Jigsaw Directory.
To read the Jigsaw Business Contact Privacy Statement in its entirety click here.
From a privacy perspective there are two major categories of information — Company Information and Business Contact Information.
Company Information includes:
- Company name
- Website (URL)
- Phone number
- Industry classification
- Employee range
- Revenue range
- Stock Exchange and Ticker Symbol (for publicly traded companies)
Note 1: All Jigsaw Company records are free for download (i.e., Open Source).
Note 2: Jigsaw also has an open source wiki for many companies that has been written by one or more Jigsaw Members.
Business Contact Information includes:
- Work Phone number
- Work Email
- Work Address
Jigsaw is strictly a business-to-business directory. Non-business information of any kind is not allowed on our database. For example, the following are NOT allowed on Jigsaw:
- Non-business email addresses (i.e., Gmail, Hotmail, AOL, etc.)
- Mobile phone numbers (we consider these private)
The Jigsaw Directory is built and maintained by a very large community of business professionals. Jigsaw Members get this information in many different ways — from the Web, from business cards they collect, from event registration lists, from tradeshows, etc.
The primary uses of the Jigsaw Directory by Jigsaw Members include:
- Sales prospecting and research
- Marketing outreach and research
- Job Seeking (finding the hiring manager instead of sending your resume to email@example.com)
- Resolution of Support Issues (Get out of phone hell and contact someone who can solve your problem)
Most peoples' privacy concerns with Jigsaw go away when they understand:
- Jigsaw is a business only database. Non-business information is NOT allowed.
- Just your business card (minus mobile number) is on Jigsaw.
- Jigsaw enables you to set preferences and/or provide Instructions which must be viewed before a member can view
your Business Contact Information on Jigsaw.
- You can be removed upon request. More info.
From a legal perspective, Company Information and Business Contact Information is not copyrightable. In fact, a variety of information about individuals is available for sale (but not by Jigsaw), including:
- When you buy or sell a house
- When you get married or have children
- What charities you give to
- Your political affiliation
- Your police record
- Your credit history
Unique among data companies, Jigsaw allows anyone to quickly find out if they are listed in our Jigsaw Directory, and to set preferences and provide Instructions.
Preferences allow the person listed to indicate how they want to be communicated with (phone, email, direct mail). Instructions provide a free-form text box for the person listed to provide specific instructions to Jigsaw Members who might try to contact them. These instructions must be read before the contact information can be accessed.
Here is an example:
Jigsaw's basic philosophy is that every company must sell and market t to survive. By making business records more accessible, and by giving those on the receiving end of these communications a "voice", the process becomes far more efficient for everyone involved.
And, if you're not listed in Jigsaw, you might be missing out on valuable business and professional opportunities. If you're looking to purchase a specific product or service, post that in your preferences and let relevant companies come to you. Or, open up your business to potential partnerships.
Jigsaw believes in freedom of speech and privacy for individuals. We recognize there are competing interests — but in the online world, unless someone is harming another, we believe user anonymity promotes creativity and progress. As a result, we do not ever (unless required by law) reveal identity of Jigsaw Members to third parties for their own use. However, Jigsaw Members have some responsibility here as well; they should be careful that what they say online and offline does not inadvertently identify them.
To find out if you are on the Jigsaw Directory, click here
Our goal is to allow any individual who wants to be removed from the Jigsaw Directory a quick and easy way to perform this action. A couple of quick points:
- Many people find it far more efficient to set Preferences and provide Instructions instead of removing themselves. Providing Instructions saves you the time of having to tell the same story over and over. Click here for more information on setting Preferences and providing Instructions.
- We don't remove publicly available Company information from Jigsaw.
To remove your Business Contact Information from the Jigsaw Directory please click here.